Thursday, February 10, 2011

Calzones

I decided to try making calzones for supper tonite. It turned out ok. I learned a few things as I went along. They tasted great but they weren’t the prettiest! Next time I need to make them smaller, they were unwieldy this big, hard to move around. Also I need to make sure the dough isn’t too thin, otherwise the filling just oozes out and all over your oven... not a pretty sight!
Here is the pizza dough recipe I always use, it is easy and never fail.

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp instant yeast
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 ½ cups flour
Mix water, sugar and yeast, set aside for a few minutes.
Mix flour, and salt together. Add the oil and water mixture to the flour.
Kneed a bit, the dough will be a little sticky. Rub ball of dough with a little oil. Let sit in a warm spot for at least 30 minutes.
Here is what it will look like after 30 minutes of rest,
Roll out on floured counter, I divided the dough into 4, but the calzones were too big I would suggest doing 6.
For the filling I just mixed everything together in a bowl so it was easier to manage.
Just stir the pizza sauce with your favorite toppings. I used ham, pineapple, mushrooms a few black olives and grated mozza cheese.
Reserve a little of the grated cheese, about a cup.
Once you have the individual rounds rolled out, place a scoop of the filling in the centre of each round. Then sprinkle a little of the grated cheese on top of the filling.
Fold over the dough in half, pinch the edges closed.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I put an olive on the top of my Sweet's so I would know which one was his. He likes black olives and I like kalamata! 
Watch it!! that filling will be piping hot! Don’t want to burn the roof of your mouth, never a good thing!
Due to the fact that I have a tiny oven I would have to do 6 smaller calzones in 2 batches but for you lucky people with a normal oven I am sure 6 would fit on one pan. I have a pizza stone so I heated it in the oven to 425 degrees. Then I just put the calzones right on the stone.
Jen

3 comments:

  1. They look good and homemade pizza is always good. If you ever want to cheat cause sometimes we just have to cheat, use a Kraft pizza kit. I know you like those sometimes and I have never done normal pizza just the calzones on the back of the box, YUM!! But like I said homemade is always better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that is how I always made my calzones before this! good old Kraft pizza! so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savanna says these look yummy and I have to agree! Will have to try them next week. Thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete