Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Quesadillas

I have been daydreaming about quesadillas for days now. Not sure why. I thought I better make some so I could start thinking about something else!
I wanted to make them for supper so I wanted a little more than just cheese and chicken. I sauteed up some veggies and made a spice rub for my chicken and even made my own homemade salsa.
Here is what i did,
Made a little spice rub for my chicken breasts with the following,
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp kosher salt
Mix spices together. Trim chicken breasts and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub with a tsp of olive oil and press on the spice rub.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
I put mine on a foil lined baking sheet with a little non stick cooking spray. Makes clean up super easy!
Cut the chicken into slices once it has cooled a bit. I cooked my chicken in advance and just stuck it in the fridge until i was ready for it. You could even do this a day ahead if you wanted to make it a quick weeknight meal. For an even quicker meal you could easily use one of those pre-roasted chickens from the grocery store.
Can I just tell you how good this chicken was, next time I am going to make extras... it would be great chopped into a chicken salad sandwich or sliced warm and placed on a big Cesar salad the possibilities are endless!
Then I chopped up the following veggies,
5 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
2 green onions
Grate up 1 cup or so of cheese, I used jalapeno jack. But you could use Colby or cheddar or mozza.
Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a non stick skillet. Add the mushrooms and peppers and saute until just softened. Add the green onion in for a minute or two at the end.
Remove from heat and put  the cooked veggies into a bowl.
Wipe out the non stick skillet you used to cook the veggies with a paper towel. Put it back on the heat and melt a teaspoon of butter. Put a flour tortilla or wrap in the pan. I used a salsa flavored wrap. Layer on one half the sliced chicken breast, some of the sauteed veggies and some of the grated cheese. Fold over the wrap into half. Cook on one side until the wrap is browned. Then gently flip over to brown the other side. Cook until the filling is melted. You can keep them warm on a sheet pan in the oven at 200 degrees.
Cut into wedges and serve with your homemade salsa and sour cream.
These are so freakin' good! I can't wait to make them again. Oh and it made 3 so we ate one the next day left over and it was just as good.
I will post the fresh salsa recipe tomorrow!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment