Monday, February 7, 2011

Hummus

As per my sister's request here is a lighter dinner recipe!
I love hummus! It is quick and healthy. All you need is a big greek salad to go with and you have a perfect weeknight meal! It is especially good in the summer when you don't want to turn on the oven. Well I had to turn it on for a  couple of minutes to toast the pita but you get my drift.

Ingredients:

1 can of chickpeas, drained
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of salt
Pepper to taste
2 tbsp of tahini
2 tbsp of feta cheese (this is my secret ingredient, adds a nice creaminess and flavor, you can leave it out if you like!)

Drain the chickpeas and add them to the bowl of a food processor,

Add the garlic,
squeeze in the lemon juice, salt & pepper,
now add the tahini,
toss in the feta cheese,
now add 1 tablespoon of olive oil,
Blend until smooth. Drizzle in the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil if needed to get the right consistency. You want a nice creamy smooth mixture.
Serve with some lightly toasted pita bread and a fresh greek salad!

I forgot to take a picture of my greek salad but just toss together some tomato, cucumber, red onion, green pepper, crumbled feta and some black olives if you like them.
Add a little salt and pepper and a pinch of oregano. Drizzle on a little olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar.
It is the perfect healthy supper!
Hope you like it!
Jen

2 comments:

  1. I eat hummus, Ryan not so much!! But I do like the greek. I will have to share with you our easy greek chicken pita recipe. YUMMERS!! Humus would make a good addition to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that sounds good! send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete