Sunday, February 6, 2011

Monkey Bread

So I have been seeing a lot of recipes lately for monkey bread. It just looks so yummy. Just a big gooey loaf of cinnamon buns that you can eat with your fingers! Yum! 
I looked at a bunch of different recipes and there are a lot of variations! I mean a lot!
There wasn't one specific recipe I really liked so instead I chose the things about each recipe I liked and put them together.
A lot of the recipes I looked at said to use pre-packaged biscuit dough , I didn’t want to do that so I just made up a batch of my bread maker bun dough. It worked perfectly.

Here’s how to do it:
1 batch of breadmaker bun dough (here is how to make it, Bread Maker Buns  )
1 cup of sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon (you could use less if you want it less cinnamony!)
½ cup melted butter
Rub butter all over the inside of a bundt pan. This not only helps the monkey bread from sticking but it adds to the gooeyness later!
Once the dough is ready divide it into 60 or so small balls.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon in 1 small bowl, and melt the butter in another. Dip each ball into the butter then roll in the sugar mixture. Drop the balls into the buttered bundt pan. You can put them pretty close together. Make 1 layer on the bottom then build another layer on top until you have used all the balls.

Place pan into a warmed oven to rise for 30mins.
It should look like this after it has risen.

Take the dough out of the oven and place a cloth over it while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the oven is up to temperature put the money bread in to bake for 30-40mins.
Once the top is golden brown remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Then place a plate on top of the bread and flip it upside down. It should just slide out. Let cool for another 10 minutes.

While it is cooling you can make the glaze:
1 cup of powdered sugar
2 tbsp of milk
Stir together until smooth.
After 10 minutes drizzle the glaze over the bread. Oh a cream cheese glaze would be awesome on these too!

I couldn’t wait any longer so I grabbed a piece and pulled it off! So warm and sweet!

These are best warm but don't fret if you don't eat them all! Pull off what you want to eat and put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Warm and delicious!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. "Best warm" post at 2:02 - I'll be right over!

    I don't remember all this baking happening when I lived across the hall? Sounds very domestic...what next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a monkey bread pan and a mix from the neighbours for like a year, this makes me want to try it out right now. And now here is a recipe for when the mixed is used!!
    But no baking right now, I request that tiny oven posts some easy low cal, low fat get ready for Maui recipes please!! LOL!!! I know they just don't taste nearly as good if they are low cal, low fat but my hips just don't like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok Kate I will post a healthier recipe tonite! It is hard cause butter just tastes so darned good!

    ReplyDelete