Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mushroom Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes


I swear I spend 60% of most days thinking about what to make for dinner. I just finish cleaning up from one meal and I am already starting to think about tomorrow nights dinner. It is a sad state of affairs.
I took chicken out of the freezer last night which meant I spent most of today trying to decide what to make. I knew I had some sweet potatoes and I have a great recipe for mashed sweet potatoes from Cook’s Country so I had my side dish. But what to do with that chicken...
I had some mushrooms and an onion in the fridge and I had a bottle of white wine and a little cream left over so sorta threw it together and this is what I ended up with. I didn’t really have a recipe so I just sorta tasted as I went and added the flavors I thought it needed.  The boyfriend taste tester gave it 2 thumbs up!

First here is the mashed sweet potato recipe.

Ingredients:
4 tbsp. butter, cut into 4 pieces
3 tbsp. heavy cream (I only had half and half and it was fine)
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
Start by peeling the sweet potatoes, cut them in half then in quarters lengthwise and then slice into ¼-inch slices. Here is what they should look like,


Combine butter, 2 tablespoons of the cream, ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper, sugar and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan.
Cook covered over low heat until potatoes are fall apart tender about 35-40 minutes.
Off heat, add remaining tablespoon of cream and mash with potato masher.

Now onto the Chicken, you will need the following:
Notice in the picture I forgot the soy sauce and the cream! DUH! Just imagine it in the picture,  its right there on the right hand side next to the onion, you can see it, right!!
2 or 3 Chicken Breasts
2 tbsp. canola oil
½ of an onion, chopped
1 cup of button mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup of white wine or chicken stock
1 tbsp. soy sauce
½ cup of cream (I used half and half)
1 tsp. dried parsley, I would have used fresh it I had some!
Seasoning salt and pepper

Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. I pounded my chicken out a little so it was thinner that way it would cook faster. Season with season salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan over medium high heat. Saute the chicken on both sides until well brown. Remove from pan to a plate and cover with foil.

Add another teaspoon or so of oil if needed to pan and add in chopped onion. Once onion is softened add in the sliced mushrooms and garlic. Saute until mushrooms are soft.

Add in the wine to deglaze the pan. Be sure to scrape up all the brown bits! Add in a the soy sauce. Stir in the cream and stir until thickened a bit. Taste the sauce and add any salt or pepper to taste. Also add in the parsley. Put the chicken back into the sauce. Allow it to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. If you the sauce gets too thick add a little more cream to thin it out.
Serve with the sweet potatoes!

sorry about the photo my lighting was terrible! I can't wait till we get some daylight later than 5pm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment