Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise and BLT’s

I had never made my own Mayonnaise before. It kinda scared me, it seemed complicated but I found out that it's not! It was really easy and it is so tasty. I found a recipe in a Martha Stewart Every Day Food Magazine. Give it a go sometime if you never have its worth the effort.  I think adding in some garlic, or some fresh herbs would be super tasty! I thought what better to test this fancy Mayo on than a BLT sandwich, so that is what I did!
Here is what you need,
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
Course salt and fresh ground black pepper
Ok so get out your food processor. I can’t imagine trying to do this by hand, you would need some muscles!
Anyway in the food processor put the 2 egg yolks, Dijon mustard and lemon juice.
Pulse until combined. Add in your salt and pepper, I added about 1 tsp of kosher salt and ½ tsp. black pepper.
With the motor running pour in the oil in a slow steady stream. At first you will think what the heck is happening here? It just looks like a mess but then all of a sudden it gets thick and creamy, keep going until all the oil in incorporated.
Store in an airtight container up to a week in the fridge. SO TASTY!
For the BLT's spread a good amount of the Mayo onto some toasted bread and layer on some cooked bacon, sliced tomato and Bibb lettuce.
This was the best BLT I have ever had. I wish I would have had some fresh basil, I think a tablespoon or so so of basil finely chopped and stirred right into the Mayo would be awesome.
I think I will be making my own mayo a lot more now. I can only imagine how good it will be in a potato salad or on a burger or as a dip for french fries... BAD but so so good!
Jen


2 comments:

  1. Would love to try this but I am on a diet at present
    Love your photos Jen.
    xoxo Aunty Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so bad! just go with Turkey Bacon instead! Lower the fat a little bit! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete