Monday, April 25, 2011

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes

So is everyone still full from Easter Dinner last night? I am! Whew food hangover.
So worth it though!
Here is what we had.


Slow Cooker Ham,


Because it was only my sweet and I for dinner I just bought a small cottage roll ham. I did it in the slow cooker cause my tiny oven isn't big enough to do 2 things at once in.
I tossed the ham in the slow cooker with 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp honey, 1 heaping tbsp Dijon mustard and 1 tbsp of cider vinegar. It cooked about 6 hours on low. I basted it twice.
Super tasty and moist.


Then I did Scalloped Potatoes,


I did a kicked up version of the recipe my mom used to do. They were so creamy and rich.
what you need,


3 large russet potatoes, sliced thinly. I would have used Yukon golds but the grocery store had none! 1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tbsp melted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup of grated cheese, I used cheddar
salt/pepper to taste ( add a good amount of both probably a tsp of salt and at least 1/2 tsp of pepper)


I used a mandolin to slice my potato and onion. I makes quick work of a potentially long job, plus all the slices are perfectly even!
Layer the potatoes and onion and cheese over and over until all your potatoes are used. I think I got 5 layers. I made a small batch, so you could easily double this.
Mix all the other ingredients together and carefully pour over the potato layers. Go slowly it will take a little time for the sauce to sink down between the layers.
Top with cheese and cover with foil. Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet. It is going to bubble over a bit and cleaning a cookie sheet is so much easier than cleaning your oven!
Bake at 375 for 60-90 minutes. I tested mine after 60 minutes and it needed the whole 90 minutes. Once the potatoes are tender take the foil off and use the broiler for a few minutes to brown up the top.
Take the dish out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes, this will help everything firm up and save you from burning your lips off!


Oh and I did some carrots as a side. Butter and a little chives.


Here it is on the plate,

Delish! and really pretty easy.


I made this for dessert,


It is heavenly, recipe tomorrow.


Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment