Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rhubarb Cake


I have had a few requests for rhubarb recipes. Since I love rhubarb I am more than happy to share a few.  I wish I could grow my own here, but I don’t think my landlord would appreciate me hauling in dirt to dump on my 15th floor balcony to grow some.
 
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. My mom used to make it a long time ago.
It is moist and a little tart with a nice sugary crunch on the top.

What you need
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 cups dices rhubarb

For topping,
 ½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch pan with non-stick spray.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add in the eggs one at a time, mix until well blended.  Mix in the buttermilk. Stir in the flour, salt and baking soda.
Fold in the rhubarb.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth off the top.
Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the top of the batter.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

This cake is lovely on its own, but it is even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it!

Enjoy!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. Yum. This looks so good and so easy. Definitely going in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe. Just made it today for a brunch that I was going to, and it was super moist and yummy. Everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe... I made it with a little less sugar and I think I could of left the rhubarb in a little larger pieces. The cake itself is very moist and flavorful. I added 1 tsp. of vanilla to the batter for depth of flavor.
    Ice cream or whip cream, both were a hit with my family. I will make this one again.. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete