Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mushroom Roll Ups


Wednesday night is game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Vancouver vs. Boston. It is has been a nail biter of a series, let me tell you. Whew! I am glad it is down to the last game and I am glad it’s a home game!! This city has been just buzzing for weeks. I made these tasty little bites to enjoy during the game.
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie! The filling is creamy and full of mushrooms. All wrapped up in good old white bread, brushed with butter and baked until toasty and melty. Oh man, these are to die for!

Here is what you need,
1/4 cup butter
1/2 lb. White mushrooms, chopped finely
1/2 cup white onion, minced finely
1-8oz block of cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder
1 loaf white sandwich bread, crusts removed
1/2 cup butter, melted
Melt the first amount of butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Saute for 5-10minutes until veggies are softened.
Add in the cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Stir around until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

**At this stage you will need all of your will power not to eat all the filling with a big old spoon!**

Roll the bread slices with a rolling pin to flatten.
Sorry about the pictures, the light in my kitchen is BAD!

Spread mixture on each bread slice, about 1 tbsp per slice.

Roll up the bread and slice each roll into 3.

Put the rolls on a sheet pan in a single layer. 

Brush the rolls with the second amount of melted butter. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until toasted.
Makes about 48 rolls.


I think I could eat a whole batch by myself. This is not something I am proud of, but I just thought you should know.

GO CANUCKS!!

Jen


10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness JennyB! These look as good as I remember! I can taste them just thinking about it! I am gonna have to make them tomorrow!! I am soo excited to try them again after all these years! Thanks for another great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Boston and am wondering if it would be blasphemy if I served these bites to my Bruins fans friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be ok Molly, you don't have to say you got the recipe from a Canuck fan!! LOL! I hope it is a good game, regardless of the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look very, very yummy and make ahead which is perfect for game nights. GO CANUCKS GO!

    I'll see you at the parade?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make these tasty appetizer with bacon crumbled and use 1tbsp of the bacon drippings to saute the onions and mushrooms in.I also use garlic butter to brush on top of the roll ups.Also once done I put the rolls into the freezer to firm up and then cut into 3 Bite Size pieces and pop back into freezer to have on hand for comoany.Take out what you want and pop into the oven.Company will love these tasty bite size roll-ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eactly how I used to make th also added finely chopped green pepper for a little color and flavor. Haven't made for years but plan having for Christmas celebrations..Thank you for posting a wonderful old favorite

      Delete

  6. awesome . step by step pictures..looks so delicious and beautiful. thankyou for shearing. delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete

  7. been looking for some basic chicken mushroom so i can try for my first time at making a chickenmushroom recipe. thankyou for shearing. chowringhee restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures, can't take eyes off these delicious rolls, they are soooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Goodness ... I made these in the 1960s when I lived in St. Louis, Missouri and have misplaced the recipe. Today I Googled "creamy mushroom roll-ups" and here is your lovely recipe that I have been looking for for a very long time. I was so pleased (and shocked) to find the original recipe that I used. I live in Sarasota, Florida now and once we can safely visit with friends again I will be making this and surprising everybody.

    ReplyDelete