Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil

I only tried Orzo for the first time a month or so ago. Since then I have found so many good  recipes for it. This one in particular caught my eye. I knew it would be perfect with the Herb Crusted Salmon.

It was creamy and cheesy, with the freshness of the basil. I could just eat a big bowl of this for dinner!

Here is what you need,
Click Here To Print
 

3 tbsp. butter
1 ½ cups Orzo
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, low sodium is best
6 tbsp fresh basil
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt/pepper to taste

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the orzo and saute for a few minutes, until the orzo start to get golden brown.  

Add the broth and cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until all the broth has been absorbed. 

Remove from the heat, add the basil and Parmesan cheese and salt/pepper to taste.


It was like a simple risotto. So creamy and delish!
I would be great as a side with just about anything, or just a big bowl on its own.

Jen

13 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, quick and simple! Definitely going to try this. I don't think I've ever had orzo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. its a little different than pasta. its pasta based. not the same

      Delete
  3. this looks delish! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your recipe on pinterest...tried it out and it was a hit with the family! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aubrey! It is one of my favourite dishes.
    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might be really dumb of me but are you sauteeing the orzo cooked or uncooked?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, you sautee the orzo uncooked, you just want to lightly toast up the orzo grains a bit before adding the liquid. It gives it a nice flavour. I just made it again last night for dinner, it is one of our fav's!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was great! Used vegetable stock. My 21 month old son told me "good lunch mommy" and. It was a hit with my husband as well. Easy to make, but had to reduce simmering time to about 13 minutes and stir occasionally to prevent burning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We made this tonight with our steak from the grill, and it was a great side!! I followed your recipe exactly and it turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect with whole wheat orzo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't normally comment on recipes, but this was awesome! And really, really fast and easy. Definitely keeping this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your recipe on pinterest and it came out great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete