Monday, July 25, 2011

Chocolate Glazed Baked Doughnuts

My super awesome friend Brenda picked this very cool doughnut pan up for me when she was at the outlet mall in Bellingham! I love it. I have been dying to try it out and I finally had time this weekend.
 
I tried a more cake style doughnut for my first attempt. They are a little crunchy on the outside and soft and flavourful in the centre and don’t even get me started on the chocolate glaze… OMG! 


What you need,
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tbsp vegetable oil

For the glaze,
1 cup chocolate chips
½ cup heavy cream
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray your doughnut pan with non stick spray.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, oil and buttermilk until foamy.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
Fill each doughnut form half full. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned and they spring back when touched lightly.
Remove doughnuts from the oven and let them cool in the pan for a couple of minutes, then remove them gently to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
Makes 6 regular sized doughnuts.

Look how cute they look naked!


For the chocolate glaze,

Heat the cream over low heat in a saucepan, just until small bubbles form around the edges.
Remove from the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips in a large bowl. Stir slowly until all of the chocolate is melted and you have a nice smooth mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
Let stand for a few minutes until lukewarm.
Dip each doughnut into the glaze and put them back on the rack until the glaze is set.


Try not to eat them all, I dare you! They are super good. Plus they are kind of good for you cause they are baked not fried. So don’t feel guilty, eat 2, I did!

Jen



4 comments:

  1. Jen, you are pretty much killing me with the chocolate recipes. Stop tempting me already! This ice cream is enough.

    Oh yeah, and did I mention that your doughnuts look fantastic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jen, these look absolutely delicious! My husband loves doughnuts and the fact they are not fried is a great bonus! Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! Glad you enjoyed this post. I sure enjoyed eating them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay now maybe I understand peoples obbsessions with doughnuts! These look sinful!! Nice shiny glaze they look so pretty and soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete