Monday, July 18, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? Neither did I, but ever since I got my ice cream maker I am much more aware of all things ice cream.
So in honour of the holiday I decided to make some ice cream based on my favourite dessert combo, peanut butter and chocolate. 


This ice cream is heaven in a bowl. It tastes like a big frozen peanut butter cup! LOVED IT!
Unlike the vanilla ice cream I made, this isn’t a custard based ice cream, so no eggs. I was worried it wouldn’t have as creamy of a texture but it totally did! It was like velvet on your tongue!

What you need,
2 cups of half and half
2 cups of whipping cream
½ cup unsweetened, Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup peanut butter cups, chopped (about 9 cups, I suggest buying an extra package cause you are going to eat some while you are chopping, guaranteed!)

In a large sauce pan, combine the half and half and cream with the cocoa powder and sugar with a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine. Heat the mixture until it comes to a full boil, whisking all the time. When the mixture starts to foam remove it from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, until fully incorporated. Cover and refrigerate until mixture is completely chilled, 8 hours or so.
Finish in your ice cream maker, according to the manufacturers instructions.
Add the chopped peanut butter cups during the last 2 minutes or so of churning.


Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and wait until it hardens.
Then eat right out of the container with a huge soup spoon, like I did.


Damn this was good!

Enjoy!
Jen

9 comments:

  1. Okay this looks so good I am considering getting an ice cream maker just to make this!! Yummy!! I could use some ice cream today! Soo hot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God. That's all I can say. Oh. My. God.

    I want some now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's funny I was thinking about ice cream last night too. This looks so good. It has my favourite combination, chocolate and peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely! I was just thinking about this ice cream last night. Perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!!! This is officially on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, here I am back to drool over this recipe several hours later. Ugh. I strongly suspect I'll be making a version of this way too soon. My summer clothes official hate you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mary, I can eat as much of this stuff as I want and not worry about tank tops and shorts. It seems like we aren't going to have summer here this year. Only rain and cold! boo hoo! I think I will go make some hot chocolate and put on a sweater now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A SWEATER?! I am SOOOOOO jealous! Guess what I'm making this weekend? Summer clothes or not? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The taste of the chocolate peanut butter base was good, but texture was the problem. By cooling the liquid for so long -- eight plus hours -- it made it too dense, so that it processed too quickly in the ice cream maker. As a result the texture was off. I would try letting this cool down to room temperature and put it in the fridge for no more than 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete