Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pesto


My basil plant went crazy while I was away on my holiday. It was huge when I got home!! I knew I had to make some pesto asap! I have never made my own before but it was really easy and really good. 

Here is what you need,

1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 tbsp pine nuts
3-4 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste


In the bowl of a food processor add the basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and garlic.


Turn on the food processor and slowly add in the olive oil until you get a thick paste consistency. Mix in salt and pepper to taste. 


It is so pretty, what a great green color!
I used half of the batch in a yummy pasta dish I will share tomorrow.


I am not sure what to do with the rest. I could use it as a pizza sauce or make a pesto potato salad or as a sauce for chicken… what you do think? What is your favourite way to use pesto?

Jen

3 comments:

  1. Pesto Potatoe Salad, do it, do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I never liked pesto until your pesto cream cheese sauce? and now I'm addicted to that sauce? (my ass says thanks!) but now that i like pesto, maybe the potato salad would be good? would it have eggs though?:( so maybe i vote for a nice pizza base, i've had some good ones with chicken and stuff, on flatbreads of various types, it can be so good that way too! Look at you making your own pesto!! Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm no Crew the Pesto Potatoe Salad is not classic salad style at all, Baby potatoes, bacon pieces, red onion, parm cheese, can't go wrong!!
    Dad loved it when he was here, even asked the recipe!

    ReplyDelete