Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Old School Chocolate Chip Cookies


Awhile back I made these amazing America's Test Kitchen Chocolate Chip Cookies. At that time I said that I had 3 chocolate chip cookie recipes I was going to try, then see if I could pick a favourite. 

Here is the 2nd recipe. These are classic! We have been making these in my house since, well forever.

 
They are crisp on the outside and chewy in the centre. They are very buttery and full of chocolate chips.
I haven’t made them in a long time; I forgot how good they are!

What you need,


½ cup butter, softened
1 whole egg
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Makes about 2 dozen cookies


Note: I ALWAYS use salted butter, in everything! I know you aren’t supposed to bake with it but I have never had any issues with anything being too salty. I just think it is a pain to buy 2 kinds of butter all the time. Anyway I cut the salt in this recipe back to ¼ tsp from ½ tsp because I use salted butter… if you use unsalted butter you can up your salt. This is what I always do just cut the salt back by half because of the salted butter, it has always worked for me!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with silpat mats or parchment.
In the bowl of a stand mixer blend the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and blend well. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda and salt, blend until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. I put my dough in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill. When you are ready spoon by the tablespoon full onto the prepared sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes until the bottoms are lightly browned.
Remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.


I don’t know if I can choose between these and the ATK Cookies, they are both really good!! They are 2 totally different kinds of cookies, different textures and flavours.


I guess I will just eat a few more, and then wait until I make the third recipe to make my final judgement!

Jen


3 comments:

  1. I have some serious baking to do tomorrow and I can not wait. I've been in the mood for a chocolate chip cookie for a while now too. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray! the yummiest cookies ever! i love these! i will make them with savanna tomorrow:) we made these like a million times as kids! nice to see an old family recipe still holds up against all the fancy new desserts:) thanks for posting this, i hadn't thought of these cookies in a long time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the glass of milk with the bendy straw! Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete