Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sautéed Rainbow Swiss Chard

When I was at the Farmer’s Market the other day I saw this beautiful looking rainbow swiss chard.


I have never eaten swiss chard, and I have never cooked it before,but it just looked so pretty I had to give it a try!

I wanted to just do a basic recipe to see how I like it. It is very good. It is kind of like spinach with more texture and a slightly stronger and lightly bitter taste. It was really good, and very good for you! I will be eating it again for sure.


What you need,

1 bunch or lovely swiss chard
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
Pinch of red pepper flake, optional

To prepare the chard, wash well under cool water and pat dry. Cut the stems out in a v shape along the leaves and chop the stems into a ½ inch dice. Then slice the leaves into strips.

Heat the oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.

Once it is hot toss in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so until fragrant.

Add in the chard stems and sauté for 5 minutes or so until they start to soften.

Add in the leaves and cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then remove the lid and stir once and cover again for 2-3 minutes until leaves are wilted.

Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if using them.


It was lovely! I am so glad I tried it. I can’t wait for the farmer’s market next week so I can buy more. I have found a few recipes I am dying to try!


Jen


2 comments:

  1. And it's sooooooo good for you! It's one of those super foods. We've been getting into it lately too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems kinda scary, I'm not gonna lie, lol, but I've always wanted to try this so I'm gonna give it a go! I'll let you know how it turns out!!! I think mom may have this growing in her flower bed not knowing its a food! oh gosh thats too funny. Way to go being healthy and brave and making it yummy too!!

    ReplyDelete