Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kale Chips


Ok so I jumped on the band wagon… the kale chip band wagon. I couldn’t help it. Everyone has been making them; I just really needed to see what all the hype was about!

 
I used Joy the Baker’s recipe. She is awesome by the way! Love her blog and her podcasts; check them out if you haven’t!

Anyway they are pretty simple, you need,

1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped, stems removed
1 good tbsp. olive oil
Salt/pepper to taste
You can go crazy with other seasonings if you want, old bay, garlic, cumin you get the idea!
I went simple and did just the salt and pepper for my first time!

Heat your oven to 275 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
Toss the kale bits with the oil and salt and pepper. I may have over salted a bit… shocker! So go easy.
Lay the leaves on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes then using tongs turn them over and cook another 10-15 minutes. At this point turn off the oven and just leave the pan in the oven for another 30-45 minutes until the leaves are perfectly crispy.
I am not going to lie here, they are kind of weird. I mean they taste a little bitter but a bit sweet and a little salty. They are pretty fragile, kind of paper like.  

You will end up eating a bunch of them because the first few are strange, so you keep eating and them until you realize, hey these are pretty good. They aren’t going replace the potato chip or anything but they are good for a change or for those days your jeans are feeling tight but you really need a crunchy salty snack!

Jen

Recipe from Joy the Baker

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about them and everyone I know who tries them, loves them, but I'm still on the fence....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. I like kale as a cooked veggie side, but this seems weird! Who thought this one up?!

    ReplyDelete