Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Apple Cranberry Crisp

I had a dinner party to go to this past Saturday. It was my job to bring dessert. The host was making Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon with roasted potatoes and green beans. How do you compete with that? It was amazingly delicious!!

 
I decided you can’t ever go wrong with a crisp. Apples are always a good choice, but I like my crisps tart, so I thought cranberries would be a perfect choice. It tasted great!


What you need,

6 cups of peeled, diced apples, I used a variety of ambrosia, gala and granny smith
1 heaping cup of fresh cranberries
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 heaping tbsp. all-purpose flour

1/2 cup butter, softened
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup quick cooking oats

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine the apples the granulated sugar, 1 tbsp. flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss well to coat and pour into the prepared pan.
To make the topping combine the flour, brown sugar and oats into the flour, I like to use my fingers to crumble all the ingredients together to make a crumbly mixture.
Sprinkle the topping onto the fruit in an even layer.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The fruit should be fork tender and the topping should be browned.

Serve with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream!


The crunchy topping and the sweet and tart filling with the warm spice of cinnamon and nutmeg, it was the perfect ending to an amazing dinner with GREAT friends!

Jen

2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for how yummy this crisp was!! Love the first photo of the fruit - so shiny and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of cranberries to apple desserts. This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete