Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake


So I had this container of buttermilk in my fridge. I couldn’t decide what to make, until I saw this recipe. I think anytime Breakfast and Cake are in the same sentence it can’t be a bad thing!


This cake is lovely. Flavorful and moist but no too sweet, it would be perfect with a nice hot latte while reading your morning newspaper, or in my case food magazine.


What you need,


½ cup butter
2 tsp. lemon zest
¾ cup + 2 tbsp. of granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp.  Baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt, my butter was salted so I left this out
2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. granulated sugar for sprinkling on top

Heat your oven for 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 baking dish.
Start by creaming the butter and sugar together, add in the lemon zest. Add in the egg and mix until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla.
Toss the blueberries in ¼ cup of the flour. In a separate bowl whisk together the rest of the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and then half the butter milk, mix well. Add in the rest of the flour and the rest of the buttermilk. Mix until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
Sprinkle the 1 tbsp. of sugar over the top of the cake.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


This cake is my perfect breakfast!

Jen

3 comments:

  1. love this! anytime you get an excuse to eat cake for breakfast, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely delicious! Was your batter as sticky as mine? Because I really wasn't sure how my final product was going to turn out. But it makes a beautifully moist and fluffy cake. Thank you for yet another delicious recipe! (Your blog has become my go-to for supper ideas.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meaghan! Thank you so much for your comment, you made my day. I am so glad that you have found some recipes you enjoy!! Yes I do remember the batter for this cake being very sticky, but it sure did make for a moist tasty cake. So glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete