Monday, January 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew with Biscuits


I love slow cooker meals.  It is so nice to be able to get a whole dinner ready in the morning and then come home after a long day to a fully cooked meal!
 

This recipe is from Rachel Ray. She used store bought biscuits to make things faster but I decided to make my own. Jalapeno cheddar ones! My in house taste testers favourite flavour combination!

This stew is full of flavour! It is rich and creamy and perfect with a nice hot biscuit!

Here is what you need,


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
¼ cup flour, plus 3 tbsp.
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small butternut squash, peeled, chopped and cut into bite sized pieces
(About 2 cups)
3 ribs of celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. dried sage, I forgot to buy fresh at the store, if you have it use 6 leaves, chopped
6 sprigs, fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Start by dredging the chicken in the flour, Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.

Once the chicken is brown put it in the slow cooker along with the butternut squash, celery, carrots, onion, sage, thyme, 3 tbsp. flour, salt and pepper. Mix to combine then pour over the chicken stock. I used 1 cup of the chicken stock to deglaze the pan I cooked the chicken in, just to get all the nice brown bits, and add it and the remaining 2 cups of stock to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.

Just before serving, add in the peas, Dijon mustard, the dill and parsley to the slow cooker. Stir and cook until peas are warmed through, 5 or so minutes.
Serve it up in a nice bowl with a nice hot biscuit on top! 


There you have it a nice hearty meal.

I will post my jalapeno cheddar biscuit recipe tomorrow!

Jen

 Recipe from Rachel Ray

3 comments:

  1. This stew sounds delicious! Just the thing for this time of year. Congrats on your blogging anniversary too! A year of blogging is a big deal. I'm so glad I met you through the blogging world. Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I have been looking for a good chicken recipe for the slow cooker. They all seem to be beef! And I love the idea of squash in it. Might have to replace the peas with something else, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried this recipe out and it was great! Love having a chicken option for the slow cooker. And I loved the butternut squash and all of the fresh herbs in it! Gorgeous colour for the nice, thick, creamy gravy as well! Yum.

    ReplyDelete