Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies for Valentine's Day


Tuesday is Valentine’s Day. I have 2 things to say about that, firstly, wasn’t it just Christmas? How can it be halfway through February already?? Secondly, Valentine’s Day isn’t a big deal at my house, and that is just fine with me. I would much rather get flowers or candy on some random Thursday rather than having my in house taste tester spend double the money on this “special day”!
Plus, every day feels like Valentine’s Day at our house!! Just kidding!! How sappy is that? I just grossed myself out a little there!


I have been noticing these lofthouse style sugar cookies all over the Internet lately.  I have had this recipe bookmarked forever, so I figured Valentine’s Day was a good excuse!


These are awesome, so soft and light and cakey, and the frosting is TO DIE FOR!

What you need,

6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter; at room temp (I used salted butter, as usual, so I left out the salt!)
2 cups granulates sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ cups sour cream

For the icing,

1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups icing sugar
Pinch of salt (and again, I used salted butter so I left the salt out!)
6 tbsp. heavy cream ( I forgot to buy heavy cream, I was in a panic all I had was 1%, but I did have buttermilk, so I used that, it worked out perfectly!)

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees (the original recipe said to heat to 425 degrees but my oven is VERY hot and that just seemed like it was going to lead to me burning my lovely cookies, so I went 375 and it was good for me). Line your cookie sheets with silpat mats or parchment paper.

In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in the eggs 1 at a time and mix until well incorporated. Add the vanilla and the sour cream and beat at low speed until all combined.
Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined. The dough will be a little sticky.
Divide the dough in half and flatten into to circles and wrap them in saran wrap. Stash the dough discs in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Flour your counter top and the top of the dough, with a rolling pin; roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutter to make your cookies. Bake for 7-10 minutes until pale golden brown on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

To make the frosting, combine the butter and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Slowly beat in the icing sugar and salt if using. Once the mixture is smooth and creamy add in the heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time and then beat at medium speed for a minute or 2 until it is light and fluffy. You can add in your food coloring at this point if you like.

Once cookies are totally cooled. Frost each cookie and add sprinkles if you like. Allow the frosting to set for an hour or so then store in an airtight container.
Let cookies sit for several hours before serving.

I of course had to stuff one in my face as soon and I got frosting on it. It was good, really good. But then I ate one later, after a few hours and it was BETTER, way better! The icing kinda melds with the cookie and it just tastes so much better.


I will be making these again, for sure. You could make them for any occasion just by using different cookie cutters and colors of frosting, or you can just make them round, slap some plain frosting on there and scarf them down.

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, may all your days be filled with love… and cookies!!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment