Monday, February 20, 2012

Mini Corn Dog Muffins

One of my favorite things about summer is going to the fair. The only reason I pay $15 dollars to get in is so I can get a corn dog! Oh, and maybe a bag of mini doughnuts!
I eat 1 corn dog a year, hot and crispy slathered in mustard! I am drooling just thinking about it!! Sigh…

 
Anyway when I came across this recipe I almost flipped… mini corn dog muffins, baked, not fried! Cute and healthy-ish! What a great way to get my corn dog fix in February!!
They are super tasty! And easy! 


Here is what you need,

 
½ cup melted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
8-10 all beef hot dogs cut into 1 inch bites

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
Stir together the butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and combine. Add in the buttermilk.
In a separate bowl combine the baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt. Stir to combine.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet in 2 batches, stir until just combined.
Put 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter into each mini muffin cup, and then place a hot dog piece into the center of each cup.
Bake for 8-12 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
You can store the left overs in an airtight container in the fridge, just toss them in the microwave for 30 seconds to reheat before serving.


As I said earlier I like mine with mustard! I am a purist, but ketchup would be good too.
This would be a great addition to a summer BBQ or a sports party! 

By the way, the corn bread part of this recipe is one of the best I have ever tasted, I think you could make it without the hot dogs would be great with chili or soup! YUM!

I am so happy that I found these, now I can get that corn dog fix any time of year!!

Jen

recipe from Iowa Girl Eats

2 comments:

  1. those are so cute! Now you just need to make mini doughnuts at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Perfect fix for us Americans living in Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete