Monday, March 26, 2012

Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies


I tend to like my cookies soft and chewy. When I saw these cookies in an America’s Test Kitchen magazine I knew I would be stuffing them in my face before I could even read through the whole recipe!


They are VERY good, I flattened mine a little too much, and then the first batch got away from me and were a little crispier than I like but even still they have a great peanut buttery flavour and a great chewy texture!


What you need,

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup packed, light brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. dry roasted peanuts, chopped fine

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt together.
In a large bowl, stir together the peanut butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, granulated sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla until smooth.
Stir in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Cover the batter with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for a couple of hours until firm.

Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Grease the flat bottom of a drinking glass and use it to press the cookie balls into and even ¾ inch thickness. Sprinkle the tops of each cookie with a little of the chopped peanuts and press lightly to adhere.

Bake the cookies until puffed and edges are lightly browned, 12-14 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Let the cookies cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

I wish I wouldn’t have overcooked mine, the edges were quite crunchy, but the centres were sure soft and chewy. I am going to make them again and watch them more carefully this time. I think my tiny oven is just too hot!


Either way they were delicious!
If you are looking for a little twist on your basic peanut butter cookie, give these a try!

Jen

Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen “Light and Healthy 2012”


2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I love chewy cookies, and it's hard to get chewy PB ones. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete