Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Couscous with Dried Fruit and Nuts


I was looking at recipes on the Internet the other day, as usual!! I stumbled onto this lovely looking recipe. I thought it would make a great lunch to take to work.


It is very easy, quite tasty and easily adaptable to your taste preferences.

What you need,

 
1 box of couscous (about 1 pound)
1 cup of dried fruit, I used apricots, cranberries and raisins
1 cup nuts, toasted, I used pine nuts, almonds and cashews
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon juiced
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put the dried fruit in with the water, you are going to cook your couscous in, this will rehydrate it. Once the water is boiling, cook the couscous according to package directions.
Meanwhile toast your nuts. I just put them in a dry non-stick pan and over medium heat I cooked them about 4-5 minutes until light brown and fragrant. Be sure to watch them carefully you don’t want them to burn.
Once the couscous is finished, fluff with a fork and stir in the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and toasted nuts.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.


I really liked this little salad, it was great right away but I took the left overs for lunch the next day and it was even better cold. It gave the flavours a chance to meld.
I think that any dried fruits or nuts you like would be great. 


A nice big bowl of this couscous and an orange made for a nice healthy and filling lunch.

Jen

Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this recipe! I love couscous, and this just sounds so healthy and yummy and hearty but light. I want to eat it right now!!

    ReplyDelete