Saturday, May 5, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Fruit


One of my favourite things about spring is Rhubarb. When we were kids we always hoped for warm enough weather to produce enough fresh rhubarb for a crisp by Mother’s Day. My Dad says it has been nice enough at home this spring that it is looking like he might get one by next weekend. 


I had a bag of rhubarb and a bag of strawberries in the freezer from last year, so I decide to use it up by making one of my favourite treats, strawberry rhubarb fruit.  The combination of the two fruits with just a little sugar cooked down into a thick sauce is one of the best desserts ever!
I especially love it on vanilla ice cream, but it is good on its own too.


What you need,

3 cups of rhubarb, fresh or frozen, chopped
2 cups of strawberries, fresh or frozen
¾ cup granulated sugar (I like mine a bit tart if you like it sweeter you can use 1 full cup of sugar.)
3/4 cup water, if using fresh fruit

In a medium saucepan combine the fruit, sugar and water. Cook over medium high heat until it comes to a simmer then turn the heat down to medium low.
Stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and the mixture starts to thicken up a bit.
Let cool completely, then you can store it in the fridge for a week, or you can freeze it in an airtight container for use later.
I used frozen fruit so I let it thaw completely in the fridge, you will use the juice that you get from the thawing process. If you use fresh fruit you will need a bit of liquid so add the water.
The fruit will thicken up more as it cools.

Serve over ice cream.


Now I have to go on the hunt for more rhubarb to freeze for the rest of the year. I wish I lived closer to my dad so I could just steal it from his yard, instead of paying a fortune at the grocery store!

Jen




No comments:

Post a Comment