Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup


I love a warm bowl of soup for dinner in the fall.  I think my all-time favourite soup is Mushroom.  My dad used to make a homemade version back when we were kids, I loved it.


When I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew I had to give it a try. It just looked so creamy and rich, and easy which is always a bonus.


What you need,

2 ½ cups mushrooms, sliced (I used white button and cremini)
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 tbsp. flour dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup milk
Dash of fresh nutmeg, optional

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat, in a heavy bottomed pot. Add the butter and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.

Add in the mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the mushrooms are softened and most of the liquid has been cooked off.

Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add in the flour mixture and stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.  Season the soup with salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Finally add in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and remove the bay leaf.

Serve it right away.


This soup was amazing! It made the perfect amount for the 2 of us with just a side salad to go along with it.

It was full of mushrooms, and it was creamy without being super rich. The fresh thyme really gave it a nice flavour.

I will be making this again for sure!

Jen

Recipe from Season with Spice via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment