Sunday, September 23, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

I don’t buy cookies anymore, but back when I did, I really liked Pirate cookies.

I am a sucker for peanut butter, as you know!

When I saw this recipe on Two Peas & Their Pod’s site I knew I NEEDED them in my life STAT!


What you need,

¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt (I didn’t use salt because I used salted butter, as usual!)
½ cup butter, at room temperature
½ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup quick cooking oats

For the Filling,
3 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp. heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat and set aside.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt (if you are using).

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, peanut butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla in, and beat well.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients until combined. Stir in the oats.

Drop the dough by the tablespoon, or I used a small scoop, onto the baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes until cookies are lightly browned and the edges are set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cookies are cooling make the filling. Beat the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar until smooth, add in the heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy.

Spread a teaspoon or so of filling onto the flat side of one cookie, then sandwich together with a second cookie, pressing the filling out to the edge.

Makes 20 small cookies.

Store in an airtight container up to a week. (They won’t last that long!)

These cookies are crazy good. They taste just like a pirate cookie.
They are soft and chewy and the filling is to die for.

These are definitely one of my new fav’s!

Jen


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, these look so awesome! I miss getting samples of your baking from you!! I loved Pirate cookies too! Must [not] make these!

    ReplyDelete