Monday, October 8, 2012

The Perfect Cranberry Sauce



I can't believe that Thanksgiving weekend is almost over. It has been an amazingly beautiful weekend, warm and sunny, I was still wearing capri pants and flip flops today. I wish it would stay like this until Christmas, not likely but a girl can hope!


I can’t have a turkey dinner without cranberry sauce. The stuff out of a can just doesn’t cut it.


Making your own is easy and it tastes WAY better!



What you need,
 
1 bag of fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)
1 cup water
¾ to 1 cup of sugar (I like mine a bit tart so I use ¾ cup)
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg

In a large saucepan combine the water and sugar, over medium high heat cook until the sugar dissolves and it starts to boil.

Add in the cranberries and stir to coat with the sugar mixture.
Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.

Cook for 5-8 minutes until the cranberries begin to burst, stirring occasionally.

I like mine a bit chunky so I go about 5 minutes, if you like it a bit smoother cool closer to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Let it cool for 15 minutes then transfer to a bowl.

I like to make mine a day ahead and keep it in the fridge.


There you have it, fresh delicious cranberry sauce.
The left overs are great on toast or over plain yogurt or even ice cream!

Jen


1 comment: