Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Crispy Buttermilk Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dip



I love chicken fingers! I would eat them once a week if I could.
I bought myself an early present the other day, Picky Palate’s new cookbook. It is fantastic!


These chicken fingers caught my eye right away.
They are so crispy and tender. 


I am pretty picky about my honey mustard sauce. So I decided to make my own. I like mine a bit sweeter than a lot of the store bought kinds. This was perfect; I won’t buy honey mustard ever again!

What you need,

For the dip,
¼ cup mayo
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust the seasonings to your liking, if you want it a bit sweeter a little more honey etc.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

For the chicken fingers,
1 lb. chicken tenders
1 tsp. salt, divided
½ tsp. fresh ground pepper, divided
1½ cups buttermilk
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups Panko bread crumbs
½ cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
6 tbsp. olive oil

Season both sides of the chicken with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.  In a shallow dish whisk the buttermilk and the egg to combine.
Add the flour and remaining salt and pepper to another shallow dish.
In a third dish combine the Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Thyme and red pepper flakes.

Dip each of the chicken tenders into the buttermilk, shaking off any excess. Then coat with the flour mixture, put the chicken back into the buttermilk and finally into the panko crumbs, pressing to adhere.

Lay each coated chicken finger onto a large plate.

Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add half the chicken to the pan cooking until brown and crisp on each side, about 3 minutes per side.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the second batch of chicken the same way.

Serve right away with the honey mustard dip.


These chicken fingers were amazing! The dip is perfect!
I served mine with mashed potatoes and peas.

A perfect dinner.


Jen

Recipe for the chicken fingers from Picky Palate’s new cookbook!
The honey mustard is a Jen original.

No comments:

Post a Comment