Monday, December 10, 2012

Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce



OK people, I am here to tell you that this spaghetti sauce is by far the BEST I have ever had.


It has all the basic ingredients but something about the slow cooking and the 1 secret ingredient made it THE BEST EVER! 


It was rich and thick and full of flavor.

What you need,

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 -28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 -6 oz. can tomato paste
1 -8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried thyme
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
¼ tsp. chili flake
2 tbsp. cold butter
Fresh chopped basil and Parmesan cheese for serving.

Start by browning the ground beef in large skillet over medium high heat. Once the meat is cooked, drain off any excess fat.

Add in the onion and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Toss in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more until just fragrant.

In the crock pot stir together the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, bay leaf, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and chili flake. Stir in the meat mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Right before serving stir in the butter until combined.

Serve with spaghetti or whatever noodles you like.

Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.


I don’t think I will ever make another spaghetti sauce again. Next time I am going to double the recipe and freeze some for quick weeknight meals.

So freaking good!!

Jen

Recipe from the AMAZING Iowa Girl Eats

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe Jen. I made it last night and it was awesome. One of my sons asked for the recipe so that he and his roommates could try to make it! I love your site and enjoy getting your emails. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellie! I hope you have a wonderful holiday too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love good slow cooker recipes, and I love your pasta recipes, so this is a perfect blend! Might try it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your spaghetti recipe!

    ReplyDelete