Monday, February 11, 2013

Garlic & Lemon Green Beans



I try really hard to eat veggies with every meal. I love veggies so it isn’t hard to do, but it is nice to vary it up a bit.

I had a bag of green beans in the fridge, instead of my usual butter and salt I kicked them up a bit!


They were delicious!

What you need,

2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. lemon zest
Salt and Pepper

In a large pot of salted boiling water blanch the beans for 2-3 minutes until bright green but still crisp.
Drain the beans and shock them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.

In a large skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the green beans to the skillet and toss them to coat well.
Cook stirring often, until the beans are hot, about 5 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve right away.


This is a great way to do green beans, so much flavour! They are crispy and a bit spicy with a kick of lemon, they were perfection!

Jen

Recipe adapted from Food Network

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is almost exactly my favorite bean recipe of all time! Yay! Yours has lemon, mine has parm cheese but yours would be the healthier version <3 I always miss my green beans once our growing season is over, are the ones in the market/grocery store almost as crisp and yummy? I have always wondered & now seeing this recipe I HAVE to buy some and find out for my craving for this delicious dish is too strong to wait for the first July harvest! Thank you for reminding me of a favorite summer dish in the middle of this harsh prairie winter! You are awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea to kick plain veggies up a notch!

    ReplyDelete