Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reuben Sandwich



Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I made you a sandwich to celebrate, a Reuben Sandwich! This is such a great way to use up left over corned beef!


My Dad used to eat Reuben’s when I was a kid. I used to think they were weird, who wants sauerkraut on a sandwich. I was a kid, what did I know? Nothing, obviously, this sandwich is amazing!


What you need,
(For 1)

2 slices Rye Bread
2 oz. left over corned beef, you can use deli sliced if you want to.
¼ cup sauerkraut, drained
2 slices Swiss cheese
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. Thousand Island dressing
1 tsp. grainy mustard

In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook the corned beef and sauerkraut side by side, stirring as needed until warmed through, about 2 minutes.

Pile the sauerkraut on top of the corned beef then lay the Swiss cheese on top. Cover and let the cheese start to melt.

Heat a separate frying pan over medium high heat. Butter both slices of the bread and place buttered side down in the pan.

Spread the mustard on one of the unbuttered sides and the Thousand Island dressing on the other. Pile the warm corned beef and sauerkraut onto one side of the bread. Top with the second slice of bread.

Continue to cook, until both sides are brown and crisp, 3-5 minutes.

Cut the sandwich in half and serve with a pickle spear or 2.


I can’t believe it has taken me 36 years to eat a Reuben sandwich.
Warm and crunchy, the tangy sauerkraut is really great with the corned beef and creamy dressing.

I hope you all have a great day full of luck and green beer!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment