Monday, March 4, 2013

Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos



My sister was in Maui last year and she was having happy hour drinks at the Hula Grill. They had a special on their spicy pulled pork tacos, so naturally they ordered some to go with their Mai Tai’s!

She loved them and decided to try to re-create them when she got home.


I had lots of leftover pulled pork so I got her recipe, and man I am so glad I did!!

I have no works to describe how amazing these spicy pulled pork tacos are. Seriously they are one of the best things I have ever eaten!


What you need,

3 cups or so of leftover pulled pork, warmed in the microwave
6 small corn tortillas
1 cup vegetable or canola oil for frying
1 cup mayo
1 tbsp. sriracha sauce or more if you want more spice
1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 cups left over coleslaw from your pulled pork dinner, or make new stuff if you need to, I did.

Start by making the sriracha mayo. In a small bowl stir together the mayo, sriracha sauce, lime juice and soy sauce. Put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat until shimmering.

Carefully fry the tortillas one at a time into a taco shell shape. It took me a couple of tries to get a technique down for this. I used 2 pairs of tongs, held half the tortilla down in the oil with one pair of tongs and held the other half up into the taco shell shape with the second pair of tongs. Carefully flip it over once the first side is golden and crisp.

Set the cooked taco shell upside down on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Repeat with as many tortillas as needed, I did 3 each. Good thing I didn’t do more or we would have just eaten more!

Start with a lovely taco shell.


Spoon some sriracha mayo in the taco shell. As you can see my in house taste tester REALLY liked the spicy mayo‼


Then pile on some of warm pork.


And top with a big scoop of coleslaw.


Stuff in your face! 


I am here to tell you, best meal ever. My in house taste tester LOVED them, they are total dude food.

He was especially happy with the tortillas, they are crispy yet a little chewy, he thought they were awesome.
The sriracha mayo with the pork, is a perfect pairing, just a little heat without being obnoxious!

So my suggestion to you is make the pulled pork immediately, so you can make these AH-MAZING tacos the next day!!

Jen

Recipe from My Sister Kate



2 comments:

  1. OK, I thought i was missing Maui today of all days and now I am really missing Maui!! HULA GRILL, AWESOME! PORK TACOS, sooo awesome!!
    I love that you guys put the sauce on all mega style on the shell, I have always just drizzled mine on top of the pork but your way is very efficient!
    Okay now lets go eat them in Maui with a Mai Tai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought today would be the perfect day to post these! Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it has been 4 years, Best Wedding Ever!
    Dave LOVED the sauce, I drizzled mine, he slathered his!! LOL! Thanks for the amazing recipe, you Rock! Next year, Maui!

    ReplyDelete