Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fruit Cocktail Cake



You know how sometimes a smell or taste can transport you back in time?

Well this cake does that for me. My mom used to make this fruit cocktail cake when I was a kid.



I love it, it is moist and sweet. It is cake perfection.

The cake is super simple to whip together, only 6 ingredients.
The special part of this cake is the sauce, oh the delicious sauce! You pour the sauce all over the cake right after it comes out of the oven and it soaks up all of the amazing buttery caramely flavor!


What you need,

For the cake:
2 eggs
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 14oz. can fruit cocktail with the juice
2 cups all-purpose flour

For the sauce:
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup milk (I used 1%)
½ cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish liberally with non-stick spray; I like the Pam with flour for baking, set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.

Stir in the fruit cocktail, with the juice. Gently fold in the baking soda and flour until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the cake on the middle rack of the oven for 40-45 minutes, until brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

Watch the cake carefully at the end so it doesn’t over brown. My oven runs pretty hot so I had to turn my oven temperature down a little for the last 10 minutes. The cake will get pretty brown but that is normal you just don’t’ want it to burn!

Remove the cake from the oven and put it on a rack to cool.

Meanwhile make the sauce. In a large pot combine the sugar, milk and butter. Heat over medium high heat until the mixture boils. Stir frequently.

Once the mixture boils remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

I poked some holes with a toothpick all over the warm cake, and then carefully poured the sauce all over the cake; really get it into the edges.

It seems like a lot of sauce but the cake will absorb it all.

Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes.

Serve the cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.

The cake will keep in the fridge for about a week; just cover it tightly in plastic wrap.




For the left overs just heat a piece in the microwave for about 20 seconds then it is good to go!

This cake is a piece of my childhood. I just love it, it is so good.


Jen

Recipe from my Mom, I am not sure where she got it from, maybe Best of Bridges??

No comments:

Post a Comment