Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pimento Cheese



Have you ever heard of Pimento Cheese? I hadn’t until I started watching Diner’s Drive-In’s and Dives a few years ago.



It seems to be a southern USA staple. They put it on everything down there!
I finally just had to try it. I am so glad I did! It is creamy and cheesy and little spicy.



It made an amazing grilled cheese, but it would also make a great dip, or burger topping, even mac and cheese would be great!



What you need,

2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
8oz. cream cheese, softened
½ cup mayo
4 oz. jar pimentos, chopped
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine the cream cheese and mayo until smooth and creamy.

Stir in the spices. Finally fold in the pimentos and cheddar cheese.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

You can store the left overs airtight container for up to a week.

I spread some between 2 pieces of white bread and cooked it up grilled cheese style.




It was awesome! We had barbequed hot dogs the next day and I put some on those too, AH-MAZING!

Give this southern favourite a try, you will love it!

Jen

Recipe adapted from Key Ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment