Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rhubarb Lemon Bundt Cake



Nothing says Spring like rhubarb. I love it!
 


This cake would be perfect to make for your Mom for Mother’s Day. I wish I could share this cake with my mom, but she lives so far away :(
Miss you mom!



What you need,

For the cake

2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 lemon, zested
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and very thinly sliced (3 cups prepped)

For the glaze

2 cups confectioners’ sugar, more as needed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon nearly melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray

For the cake, sift the 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition, then stir in the lemon extract.
Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk in two additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Toss the rhubarb with the 2 tablespoons of flour and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top.

Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate the pan and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the cake in the pan on the wire rack for 30 minutes before turning the cake out of the pan onto a wire rack.

To make the lemon glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and butter together. The mixture will be thick. Spread the glaze over the cake as soon as you remove it from the pan.

Cool for 1 hour until glaze sets.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a little extra treat.



I would say more about this cake but I instead I am going to go eat another piece. Make it, it is awesome! 

DO IT!


Jen

Recipe from Honey and Jam

20 comments:

  1. I love baking with rhubarb! This bundt cake is perfect for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely divine <3 You're right, it is perfect for Mother's day, or any day! Perfect for teas, showers & get together of all kinds! I can NOT wait to make it, and will be buying the ingrediants tomorrow ! :) My rhubarb is usually up by now & ready by Mothers day but our prolonged winter has delayed it so I'll have to buy some!I can tell already I'll be making this all summer long! Thanks for another amazing recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic, and you're right, it would be perfect for Mother's Day! I wish I could share it with my mom too. Lemon, rhubarb, buttermilk, glaze -- yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this cake today - it is sooo good . I love the lemon and rhubarb combination.
    I will definitely make this one again.
    Thanks
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t have a bundt pan. Will it work in 2 rounded cake pans?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Yes I think it would be fine in cake pans. You will likely have to reduce baking time. I would check at 25 mins and watch it closely after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use frozen rhubarb in this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thaw and drain excess liquid it will be great. I often use frozen rhubarb.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try it!

      Delete
  8. Hi! Can I use lemon juice instead extract?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite lemon cake!! I'm baking it again today as I still have lots of rhubarb. It is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was told this “was the best cake ever”. Made in a 13x9- baked 50 minutes. Instead of lemon extract I added 2 TBSP of fresh lemon juice. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you use sour cream instead of buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake is great. Will flower the pan also next time as it stuck a little. Just used powdered sugar and lemon juice for a thinner glaze and was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can I use if I don’t like lemon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about Orange zest & juice? Worth a try!

    ReplyDelete