Monday, September 23, 2013

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken



I love Indian food! Growing up in Regina it really wasn’t a very big thing. When I left to move out here I think there was only 1 Indian restaurant in town.



Here in Vancouver there are a ton of amazing Indian places. My favourite thing to eat is Butter Chicken. The spicy creamy tomato sauce just kills me. A nice hot buttery piece of Naan to soak up the sauce is to die for.



I have never tried to make it from scratch before until now.
When I saw this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken on Half Baked Harvest’s site I knew I was finally gonna give it a try!

What you need,

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 small white onion, finely minced
1 14oz. can coconut milk (I used full fat)
½ cup Greek yogurt
¼ heavy cream
1 6oz can tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
2 tsp. curry paste (I used the Thai Red Curry Paste)
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. garam masala
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (this made a pretty spicy sauce, use less if you want it less spicy!)
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar (I felt like it needed a bit of sweetness so this is my addition to the original recipe)
2 tbsp. butter cut into small pieces

Cooked Basmati Rice, for serving
Warm Naan, for serving
Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)

In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk, yogurt and cream.
Add the tomato paste, ginger, garlic, curry paste and all the spices.
Stir to combine.

Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick spray. Layer the onion on the bottom. Place the chicken on top of the onion.
Pour the sauce over the chicken be sure to cover all the chicken.
Dot the butter over the top of the sauce.

Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

I stirred the mixture twice during cooking just to make sure it didn’t stick and to be sure the chicken was well coated in the sauce.
You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.

Right before serving, sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
Serve immediately with the rice and naan.



This recipe is amazing! It is super easy and it tastes SO VERY GOOD!
I will be making it again for sure! I made a cool cucumber salad to go with to help with the heat!

Enjoy!

Recipe from Half Baked Harvest


2 comments: