Monday, September 29, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal



I never really ate oatmeal growing up. I was always more of a cold cereal girl. This amazing Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal just may have converted me forever!


It is simple and hearty and it tastes like a dream! Such a great fall/winter breakfast!


What you need,

2 cups oats (I used quick cook because it is what I had)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1½ cups 1% milk (it is what I always have in the house)
½ cup applesauce
1 tbsp. melted butter
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
2 small Granny Smith apples, diced

Optional Toppings:

Brown Sugar
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a small baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.


I prepped mine to just before the cooking stage the night before and baked it in the morning. It was fabulous! It also keeps left over in the fridge really well. Just reheat it in the microwave. You might want to double the batch so you can have a nice warm breakfast all week!

Enjoy!

Jen

Recipe from the ever fabulous Two Peas and their Pod

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Oatmeal is one of my favourite foods and I make it on the stove top from scratch every single morning, so I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. I'm thinkin of making this for my breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete