Monday, December 8, 2014

Nanaimo Bars



Nanaimo Bars have always been one of my favourite holiday treats. This is my first time making them. I was always a little intimidated by all the layers‼ I searched and searched for what I felt was a classic recipe. I ended up settling on a Canadian Living recipe.


I have to say it was super simple and the bars turned out perfectly!
My in house taste tester said he couldn’t fine one single thing that would need to be changed, he said they taste just like a Nanaimo bar should! That made me very happy‼


Here is what you need,

For the crust,
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans (you could use walnuts, I didn’t cause I am allergic!)
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten

For the filling,
¼ cup butter, softened
2 tbsp. custard powder
½ tsp. vanilla
2 cups icing sugar
2-3 tbsp. milk (approx.)

Topping,
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp. butter

Start by making the crust. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9inch metal baking pan with tin foil and spray well with non-stick spray.

In a bowl stir together the graham crackers, coconut, pecans, cocoa powder and sugar. Drizzle on the butter and egg. Stir until well combined.

Press the crust into the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes until set. Remove to a wire rack and let it cool completely.

Next prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, custard powder and vanilla. Beat in the icing sugar and milk. Start with 2 tablespoons and see how it looks, if it looks a little dry ad a splash more milk.
The filling should be really thick.

Spread the filling over the cooled base and stash it in the fridge until it is completely set.

To prepare the topping, combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof glass bowl. Place it over a pot of simmering water.
Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.

Spread the chocolate over the cooled filling. Stash the bars back in the fridge for at least an hour until the chocolate is set.

Cut into bars and serve. They can be served at room temperature but I think they are better chilled or even better yet, frozen‼


I am so glad I finally decided to be brave and make my own Nanaimo Bars; there is no going back now! They are perfect, such a great addition to my holiday baking plate!

Jen

Recipe slightly adapted from Canadian Living


2 comments:

  1. Good for you! They look awesome! I've never made them because they do seem intimidating, but they are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look exactly perfect! Great base awesome custard layer nice chocolate on top...just like I remember. I can taste em just lookin at your photos. Might just have to whip up a batch. Must go wipe the drool off my chin now!!! Thanks for another great post!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete