Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Saskatoon Berry Oat Muffins



When I left my Dad’s house to come home after the holidays he gave me a ton of stuff to take home with me. Lots of moose meat and a coveted bag of wild Saskatoon berries!


I remember stopping by the side of the road to pick these fabulous berries all the time when we were kids.

It is hard to describe the taste of a Saskatoon if you have never had one… they are kind of like a wild blueberry but not really… if you ever get the chance eat some, do it‼ I suggest you make them into a crisp first; there is nothing better than a Saskatoon crisp!

Since I snagged a pretty big bag of them I stole out 1½ cups to whip up a batch of muffins.


My in house taste tester requested an oatmeal muffin so I found what looked to be a really good recipe then tossed in my Saskatoon berries.

The result is a tender, moist muffin filled with sweet delicious fruit!

What you need,
          
1 cup oats (I used quick cook because it is what I had)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup butter, melted
1½ cup Saskatoon berries (fresh or frozen)

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin tin liberally with non-stick spray. I like the Pam with flour for muffins!

In a medium bowl stir together the oats and buttermilk, let them stand for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
Stir the melted butter and egg into the oat mixture. 

Gently stir the oat mixture into the flour mixture, be careful not to over mix. Carefully fold in the Saskatoon berries.

Scoop the batter into the muffin tin using a large ice cream scoop. Bake for 18-22 minutes until the muffins are brown around the edges and a tooth pick comes out clean.

Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack. Let the muffins cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to a week. They also freeze really well too!


These muffins are so darned good. They are a perfect soft muffin with a punch of Saskatoon berry. They make a really great mid-morning work snack!

Thanks for the berries Dad, you rock!

Jen


Recipe adapted from Robin Hood Flour

3 comments:

  1. I loooove Saskatoon berries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, and used Truvia mixed with some maple extract as the brown sugar substitute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these muffins. So quick to make and they are delicious!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete