Sunday, June 14, 2015

Saskatoon Berry Crisp



One of my favourite summer desserts is a fruit crisp. Whether it is apple, rhubarb, blueberry, peach, mixed berries or Saskatoon, a crisp is always a winner.

The recipe for a crisp is almost always the same, give or take a little sugar. You can whip one up with any fruit you have on hand, even a mixture of fruit is great. Served plain or with a perfect scoop of vanilla ice cream, or even a little drizzle of heavy cream, a crisp is the perfect way to end a summer meal.


This Saskatoon Crisp is one of my all-time favorites. I can’t tell you how many times as a kid I got up early early (6am) to go to fishing with my dad. We would always finish fishing by around noon in the summer because it gets too hot. On our way back to town we would always be on the lookout for some perfectly ripe Saskatoon’s. If we spotted a bunch we pulled over, grabbed our berry picking pails and went to town. If we were lucky we would pick enough to make a big old crisp when we got home. The perfect end to a giant fish fry!


What you need,

3 cups Saskatoon berries
½ cup granulated sugar
1-2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1½ tbsp. cornstarch

For the topping,
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 heaping cups oats (I used quick cook because it is what I had!)

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9 inch square baking dish.
In a bowl toss the berries with the sugar, lemon juice and corn starch. Place the berry mixture into the prepared pan.

In a separate bowl use a fork or your fingers, I find fingers work the best, to combine the butter with the sugar, flour and oats. Mix just until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.

Sprinkle the topping over the berries to cover.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Serve warm or cold, with our without vanilla ice cream!


There you have it a super simple but absolutely amazing summer dessert‼

Enjoy!

Jen

27 comments:

  1. we had this often there are lots of Saskatoons where I grew up
    crisps are so good
    use peaches or plums or rhubarb or just about anything.
    this is the same recipe I learned to make when about 10 years old.
    And is still a favourite.
    I like your story about fishing with your dad.
    Has me thinking about our adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️ perfection ~ your crisp looks as good as Dad's did yesterday! So good! A family favourite for sure. Oh that picture is making me drool ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Saskatoon berry crisp! My favourite. I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this good for freezing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Family loved it. I doubled the topping mixture as we love lots of the oatmeal topping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this twice now BUT I double the fruit in a larger pan and add a bit of salt to the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great recipe. So easy and so good. Everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do u add the apples I dont see apples in it

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm going to try your's sounds the best and easy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kiitos reseptistä,oli erinomaisen hyvää!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiitos reseptistä,oli erinomaisen hyvää!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kiitos reseptistä,oli erinomaisen hyvää!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kiitos reseptistä,oli erinomaisen hyvää!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great crisp!!!! A keeper as our family loves ❤️ saskatoons. Thank you for sharing this recipe. God Bless

    ReplyDelete