Sunday, October 4, 2015

Apple Pie for 2 with Sour Cream Pie Crust



I have always been afraid of pie crust… I don’t know why, it has just always intimidated me.  I finally decided it was time to push my pie crust anxiety aside and try make some!


I found this recipe for sour cream pie crust and thought it looked pretty easy and thought I would give it a go. It turned out perfectly, tender and flaky and really easy to work with.


The pie filling is simple but delicious. They apples ended up perfectly tender and full of spice.

I am so glad I finally made my own pie crust. I just need some more practice. I am sure my in house taste tester won’t mind the trial period!


What you need, 

For the crust,
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 cup cold butter, cubed
½ cup sour cream (full fat)
4 tbsp. cold water

1 large egg
1 tbsp. water

In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter to the bowl and use your hands to combine the butter and flour together. Mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add the sour cream and water and use a fork to bring the mixture together. Use your hands gently at the end to roll into a ball. Divide the ball in half and wrap each half tightly in saran wrap, pressing the dough into a disc shape.
Let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

For the apple pie filling,

3-4 apples, I used granny smith
½ tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. sugar
1½ tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. ground all spice
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. vanilla

Peel and core the apples.  Cut the apples into quarters and slice into ¼ inch pieces. Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice and set aside.

Toss the apples with the sugar, flour, spices and vanilla.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Divide one half of the dough into 2.  Roll out the dough one half for the bottom of the pan and one half for the top.  You can use the second disc of dough for something else later.

I used one of these super cute little pie plates, it is just 8 inches across, perfect for just 2 people.

Fill the pie crust with the apple mixture.  Heap the apples up good and high.  Place the top crust on top and pinch the edges.  Cut 2 little slits in the top of the pie for ventilation.
Brush the crust with the egg wash.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.  Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apples are bubbly and hot.


This pie was AMAZING‼ My in house taste tester loved it. He was very impressed with my first pie attempt.
I was very happy with how the crust turned out, it was very flaky and tender and really very easy to make.

I have the second half in the freezer to use later… I am thinking pumpkin pie for thanksgiving!

Enjoy!

Jen

Pie Crust recipe from Simply Recipes

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I always knew that you'd have no problem with pastry! The sour cream element is very interesting -- I will have to try this for my next pie! It looks great in your photos!

    ReplyDelete