Sunday, January 24, 2016

Breakfast Spaghetti



Let’s talk about crispy fried eggs for a minute. I have been seeing them all over the internets, they look amazing. I usually just fry my eggs over easy or poach them, which is great but I finally decided to give it a try, and WOW, so amazing! 
Look at those crispy edges...to die for!


I always love me some pasta, so I thought what better to toss that beautiful crispy fried egg on but some lovely spaghetti.
A little salty bacon, some juicy sweet tomatoes and a little spinach and you have a wonder of a pasta dish.


What you need,

200 grams of spaghetti, enough for 2 people
4-5 slices of bacon
1½ cups tiny tomatoes, any kind you like, I used strawberry this time.
1 cup packed baby spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided

Start by cooking the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until el dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about a cup of the cooking water and set aside.

In a large pan cook the bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan place on a paper towel to drain. Cut into bite sized pieces.

Drain off almost all the fat from the pan, just leave a teaspoon or so, mostly for flavor.

Add a tablespoon of the oil to the pan. Toss in the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften.

Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the spinach and cook for another minute or so until just wilted.  Season with salt and pepper to taste

Add the spaghetti to the pan and toss everything to combine. Use about ½ a cup of the pasta cooking water to make a thin sauce. Add the cheese and basil and the bacon to the pan and toss to coat. Turn the heat off.

In a separate small nonstick pan heat the 2nd tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
Once the oil is very hot add the eggs, stand back a bit it will splitter and spatter a bit, but that is a good thing, we are going for crispy here.

Cook for about 30- 45 seconds to; use a spoon to pour a little hot oil over the yolk part to cook it quicker. I like my eggs quite runny but you cook yours as much as you like. The egg will get nice and brown and crisp on the bottom.

Divide the spaghetti between 2 bowls and top each with a crispy drippy egg.

Season with a little more salt and pepper, stuff in your face!


Lordy people, I can’t even tell you how amazing this was! That egg… I can’t even. I may never cook an egg any other way again. It was ridiculous!

This made a wonderful supper but I think it would be great for brunch too! I mean how can you go wrong, look at all that tastiness.

I hope you love it as much as I did!

Enjoy!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment