Sunday, March 6, 2016

Creamy Tomato Pasta – Updated!



This was the second recipe I ever posted on this blog. It is also one of my all-time favourite pasta recipes. It is simple and delicious, just the way I like my pasta.


Over the years I have made a few little tweaks to the recipe and scaled it down because the original recipe makes a ton. 

The creamy tomato sauce is so luscious, It would be great on any pasta but I have decided linguine is my favourite, the slightly broader noodle really holds the sauce well.


I love a ton of fresh basil in this recipe it really adds so much flavor.
If you haven’t tried this recipe I suggest you do it soon, you really won’t be disappointed.

What you need,

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
½ white onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups tomato sauce (I always use Hunts onion, herbs & spices)
Salt & Pepper to taste
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Pinch red pepper flakes
½ c. heavy cream
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese + more for serving
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
½ lb. linguine noodles or any pasta you like

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as directed. When it is cooked drain, reserving about a cup of the cooking water.

Meanwhile over medium heat, combine the oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet. 
Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and translucent.  Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed. 
Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat. If it seems too thick add some of the pasta water a little at a time until the sauce coats the pasta perfectly.

Stir in the Parmesan cheese and the basil.


Serve right away with extra cheese and a few extra springs of basil.

Seriously, this pasta, it is a really good one!

It would be great with some grilled chicken tossed in or even some sausage.  But honestly I like it as is, it is perfection.


I hope you enjoy it as much as I do every single time I eat it!

Jen

Recipe from Pioneer Woman


No comments:

Post a Comment